Kansas Financial Tools

Information provided by Kansas librarians…
The links below connect you to agencies, organizations and others who can help you with utility bills, grocery bills, tax assistance, military benefits, family assistance, housing and other services.

Personal Finance

Housing and Credit Counseling, Inc. (HCCI)
Helps consumers achieve housing and financial goals and resolve related difficulties.

Consumer Credit Counseling Services, Inc. (CCCS)
Offers financial solutions through education and counseling.

Federal Trade Commission
The Federal Trade Commission is the consumer protection agency of the federal government. On their site are links to information about receiving free annual credit reports, consumer rights in debt collection and other topics. and
Financial Literacy resources available dealing with credit, debt, identity theft, and avoiding scams, as well as budgeting, opening a bank account, shopping for prepaid cards, and managing money in general. Available in both English and Spanish.

Kansas Attorney General’s Office
The Attorney General’s office protects Kansas consumers. The Consumer Protection Division provides information for consumers about identity theft, fraud protection and online safety.

Financial Literacy
The Kansas State Treasurer’s Office offers financial literacy programs for Kansans of all ages.

Utility assistance

Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC)
General housing and energy related assistance program.

Kansas Department of Child and Family Services 
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a federally funded program that helps eligible households pay a portion of their home energy costs by providing a one-time per year benefit.

Kansas Housing Resources Corporation (KHRC)
Residential Appliance Replacement Program – application form and eligibility requirements.

Kansas Gas Service (part of ONEOK) and Salvation Army
Share The Warmth helps Kansans facing financial emergencies pay their home heating costs and stay warm through the winter. It’s available to Kansans in the 78 counties served by Kansas Gas Service, but the applicant is not required to be a Kansas Gas Service customer.

Atmos Energy
Share the Warmth is a service of Atmos Energy who work with numerous community energy-assistance agencies across the United States. These nonprofit agencies accept applications from people needing assistance and share the available funds according to their established program guidelines. Click here to search for locations.

Aquila, Inc. (part of Black Hills Energy)
Cold Hands/Warm Hearts- HeatShare is a utility assistance program administered through The Salvation Army with assistance available throughout Kansas counties served by Aquila, Inc. HeatShare provides assistance with heating and cooling bills, and when funds permit, with emergency repairs to furnaces, air conditioners and hot-water heaters.

Westar Energy

ProjectDESERVE assists Westar Energy customers in need of aid with electric service costs, emergency repair and purchase of vital heating or cooling equipment.

Grocery Bills

Department of Children and Family Services (DCF)
DCFprovides information and applications for food assistance to Kansans in need. The programs include the Food Assistance Program (food stamps) and the Emergency Food Distribution Program, which provides free food. This page also provides links to other agencies that offer food assistance.

Tax Assistance

Kansas Department of Revenue
Tax preparation assistance is available through the VITA program for those who qualify. Check the Revenue site for locations.

Military Benefits

Kansas Commission on Verterans’ Affairs (KCVA)
The KCVA has information on benefits and support available to veterans and families of active duty military personnel living in Kansas.


The Families section of the Thriving in Tough Times site has valuable information for Kansas families.


The Housing section of Thriving in Tough Times provides information for homeowners and renters.


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: